Online Courses vs. Campus-Based Courses

Is there an instructor in an online course?

All UW College Courses Online classes are taught by University of Wisconsin professors. Using the same learning materials, they have adapted and enhanced their courses to the interactive online environment with the assistance of professional instructional designers. You will be able to communicate with your professor via email or Canvas.

Is an online course easier than a campus course?

These are the same courses developed and taught by the same professors who teach in UW classrooms. As a result, UW College Courses Online classes require just as much, if not more, time and energy as traditional classroom courses. They also require specific computer skills and learning strategies in order to succeed.

Would I have to be online at a certain time for class? Or are they self-paced?

You do not need to be online at a certain time for class. However, our courses are not entirely self-paced as there are deadlines, such as discussion posts, quizzes or other assignments, throughout the week that students must meet. 

What is expected of me to be a successful online student?

While the course quality compares to that of a traditional classroom, online learning can pose unique challenges for students. To see if it’s the right fit, take a look at How Online Education Works.

How do lab courses work?

Courses with online labs typically require you to purchase a lab kit and manual for the course and complete a hands-on component (which varies based on the course and instructor). Hybrid lab courses will require students to attend face-to-face lab sessions at a UW campus over two weekends during the semester.

Application and Admission Processes

Who can take classes through UW College Courses Online?

Courses are open to students of all ages and backgrounds. Whether you wish to pursue an Associate degree with us, or just take a class or two as a non-degree student for transfer or personal enrichment, UWCCO is a great way to further your education.

In order to participate in UW College Courses Online, students must attend a partner home campus as a degree-seeking or special/non-degree student. If you are not already a student at a partner campus, it's easy to apply and get started

What is a "home" campus?

A home campus is one of the four-year UW schools partnering in UW College Courses Online: UW-Milwaukee, UW Oshkosh, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Whitewater. Students must attend a home campus - either as a degree-seeking or non-degree student - in order to enroll in UWCCO classes. A home campus is where your application for admission is processed, where you receive financial aid (if eligible), where your transferable credits are earned, and/or where your degree is awarded. 

Do I have to apply if I'm a student at another UW school?

If you are currently an active student at one of the partner campuses of UW College Courses Online, you do not have to apply. Contact your academic advisor or solution center about how to register for classes. If you are not a student at one of UWCCO's partner schools, then you must submit a new application and select a home campus in order to take courses with UW College Courses Online.

What type of student should I apply as?

Please see the How to Apply page for application procedures that apply specifically to degree-seeking, non-degree seeking, and high school students.

Tuition and Aid

How much is my tuition going to cost?

At UW College Courses Online, our flat rate tuition is $263 per credit. (There is an additional $82 per credit fee for hybrid lab courses.)

Is tuition included if I attend another UW school?

Online courses cannot be included in the 12-18 credit full-time UW campus tuition plateau. All online courses are individually charged tuition at $263 per credit in addition to any regular tuition students pay on campus.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Student financial aid is available to eligible students through their home campus. Information can be found on the Financial Aid webpage. You are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. 

Prior to Enrolling

When do I register for classes?

After submitting your application, your home campus admissions office will let students know the status of their application and next steps. Be sure to monitor your email for information from your home campus, and visit the After You're Admitted page if you have questions.

How can I see what courses are being offered?

Visit our Courses page to view course dates and class schedules by semester.

What is a "course crosswalk"?

Not all partner institutions in UW College Courses Online use the same course names and numbers. A course crosswalk translates how courses are numbered across institutions.

Visit the Courses page and view the "Course Crosswalk" box in the left column to see the list of UWCCO courses and the corresponding course numbers at each partner institution. Students should use course number listed at their home institution when registering for a UW College Courses Online class.

How do I enroll?

You will enroll in classes through your home campus. Please contact your campus academic advisor or solution center, or contact us with questions.

After I’ve Enrolled

How do I drop a course?

As with class registration, you should work with your home campus when dropping a course. Prior to dropping, be sure to talk with your home campus academic advisor to discuss any academic or financial implications.

I just registered for a course. How do I access it?

Your course will be available through Canvas on the first day of the term. 

How do I get my textbooks and other course materials?

Required textbooks and course materials can be ordered through our online bookstore.

How do I request a transcript?

You can find information on requesting a transcript on the Academic Resources page.