Student Accessibility Services

The Student Accessibility Services Office works with students, campus staff and faculty to ensure that students with disabilities who have program access needs receive appropriate accommodations.

Who is eligible for Student Accessibility Services?

Students who have physical or mental impairments, which substantially limit one or more life activities (e.g., communication, mobility, learning, etc.) in an academic setting, and have a record of such an impairment or are regarded as having such an impairment.

Students are responsible for providing documentation of their stated disability. This documentation must identify the disability for which each accommodation is requested and substantiate that the need for accommodation is related to the disability. In general, documentation should not be more than three years old.

Who determines which students are eligible for Student Accessibility Services?

The Director of Student Accessibility Services, Kristin Hoffmann, works with the campus contacts to coordinate Student Accessibility Services. The director reviews the disability-related documentation submitted by the student in order to determine the student's eligibility for accommodations and writes the accommodation plan with input from the student and campus contact. 

Who is the contact for accessibility services as a UW Colleges Online student?

The UW Colleges Online campus contact for Student Accessibility Services is:

Joyce Atkins

What kinds of accommodation services are available?
  • Adaptive software for testing
  • Note-taking assistance
  • Recorded lecture
  • Extended time for exams and quizzes
  • Separate testing room
  • Reader
  • Scribe
  • Textbooks in alternative formats (e.g., eTexts, audio, enlarged print, Braille)
  • Priority registration
  • Preferential seating
  • Accessible classroom furniture
  • Library assistance
  • Laboratory assistance
  • Advocacy and liaison with faculty
  • Sign language interpreting
  • Captioning
  • Accessible parking
How do I apply for Student Accessibility Services?
  1. Download Student Accessibility Services information and application for services, among other forms, at the UW Colleges Office of Accessibility Services site
  2. Download Student Accessibility Services information and application for services:

    1. Students Accessibility Brochure
    2. Students Accessibility Request Form
    3. Authorization for Release of Information - Form 1
    4. Authorization for Release of Confidential Information - Form 2
    5. ADHD and Psychological Disability Documentation Guidelines
    6. Initial Letter
    7. Documentation Guidelines
    8. How To Arrange Accommodation Services - Student Checklist
    9. Academic Support Services Handbook For Students With Approved Accommodation Plans
    10. Alternative Textbook Policies
    11. Alternative Textbook Loan Agreement
    12. Textbook Alternative Format Request Form
    13. You may also request this information from the Student Services Office. Plan to apply for services at least four to six weeks in advance of the semester in order to be sure that services will be in place at the start of the semester.
  3. Submit the completed application, along with supporting documentation prepared by an appropriate professional, to your campus contact for Student Accessibility Services located in the Student Services Office. In general, documentation should not be more than three years old. The UW Colleges Online contact for student accessibility is: Joyce Atkins,, 608-270-7106
  4. The campus contact for Student Accessibility Services will submit the documentation and application to the Director of Student Accessibility Services, who will make the eligibility determination for support services. You will be contacted if there is a need for additional information in order to complete the application process. Upon being determined eligible for services, an individualized accommodation plan will be developed, indicating which services are approved and recommended. You will be notified in writing once this process has been completed
  5. Prior to the start of the semester, arrange a meeting with the campus contact for Student Accessibility Services in order to discuss the implementation of your approved individualized accommodation plan.
As a student receiving accessibility services, what are my responsibilities?

The UW Colleges wishes to promote an atmosphere of independence for all students, including those students with disabilities. We want to encourage students with disabilities to become advocates for themselves. To further that mission, here are some guidelines for student responsibility:

  • Adhere to all policies regarding academic conduct. These apply equally to all students, regardless of having a disability.
  • Meet and maintain academic standards, which have been established by UW Colleges and its academic departments.
  • Submit your application for accommodation services, along with current disability-related documentation, to the campus contact for Student Accessibility Services in a timely manner.
  • Become aware of your rights as a student.
What are the laws applicable to students with disabilities?

UW Colleges complies with both the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, specifically Section 508, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. No recipients of federal funding may discriminate against a qualified individual with a disability solely by reason of that disability. This means that students with disabilities have equal access to all UW Colleges programs, services and activities.

  • Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973)
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act
  • UW Colleges Academic Policy Regarding Students with Disabilities (Sen£208)